The Federation is inviting applications for a temporary Communications Officer at our head office in Saskatoon. This position is responsible for planning, developing and writing engaging content to promote the organization’s programs, services and initiatives. In addition, this position guides various communication projects from creation to implementation via direct interaction with internal subject matter experts, graphic designers and administrative colleagues. This is a one-year term position.
- Develop, write and edit content for a broad range of communication materials, including web materials, publications, newsletters, speaking notes, press releases, social media content and presentations.
- Ensure all content is relevant and consistent in terms of style, brand compliance, quality and tone of voice, and written in accessible language that is appropriate for various mediums.
- Maintain awareness of news, events and current high-profile activities in the province pertaining to education. Coordinate the logistics required in order to capture events, conduct interviews and gather information.
- Conceptualize, seek out and create articles and videos that celebrate successes in education, and use social media to promote this content.
- Write and edit scripts for online videos and assist with the filming and editing process.
- Contribute to the planning, promotion and execution of a broad range of communication projects and tactics.
- Work closely with the design and production unit to create branded publications and materials, such as banners, displays, promotional items and event invitations.
- Provide a backup for managing social media accounts and maintain an active presence on social media.
- Develop and maintain knowledge and application of people services and other organizational policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the Federation’s vision, mission and values.
- Keep informed of and apply communications best practices and participate in organizational development and professional growth activities as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as required to support the Communications unit in the delivery of projects and activities in relation to the fulfillment of the Federation’s marketing and communication efforts.
An undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, English or related field, combined with 2-3 years of related experience in such activities as reporting, media relations and public relations writing, editing and production. This position requires some travel throughout the province.
Skills, knowledge and abilities include:
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Knowledge of social media and online communication tools.
- Knowledge of video editing software.
- Superior interpersonal, communications and public relations skills.
- Effective information gathering and interviewing skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to establish strong relationships with members and education partners.
- Effective planning and management of multiple projects and events.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range is $64,380 to $80,436. The Federation offers a 35-hour work week plus a full range of pro-rated benefits, including extended health care; retirement plan; group life insurance; sick leave; long-term disability and paid leave to deal with family, health and sickness and compassionate situations.
As a registered employment equity employer, the Federation encourages applications from members of the following equity groups: people of Aboriginal ancestry, people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.
If your considerable experience and strong commitment to excellence serve to make you an exceptional candidate for this position, please complete the Careers Application Form by selecting the “Apply Now” button below. Please submit your cover letter and resume in one PDF or WORD file. The deadline for applications is 4 p.m., June 1, 2020.