The Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation is seeking a manager to provide operational leadership, direction and supervision of day-to-day administrative processes for the teacher benefit plans, including a self-administered long-term disability plan, health plan and a voluntary life insurance plan. The Benefits Manager plays a lead role in the positive growth and development of the benefits administration team.
- Provide operational leadership, direction and supervision of day-to-day administrative processes for the benefit plans.
- Create internal controls to safeguard plan assets, ensure accuracy and completeness of information and produce reliable and timely information.
- Establish customer service standards and peer review processes to ensure high quality and accuracy of calculations and information provided to members with respect to benefit provisions.
- Ensure proper application of internal controls, applicable legislation; plan texts, plan policies and procedures.
- Oversee and monitor cash requirements carefully and monitor actual cash flows.
- Provide direction, coordination, and implementation of special projects and is responsible for accomplishing the goals and objectives of the project in a timely manner.
- Identify issues, research implications and provide recommendations, based on sound judgement, for consideration by the director.
- Identify issues and recommend changes to plan texts, group policies and insurance contracts for consideration by the director.
- Oversee the implementation of plan design and legislative changes.
- Develop, review and revise detailed internal operational policies and procedures and communicate information to staff.
- Act as the first line of resource for staff for legislative compliance questions and benefit administration system questions.
- Collaborate with insurers and IT consultants.
- Ensure effective benefits administration systems and database applications by applying systems knowledge to facilitate resolution of operational issues and anticipate new procedures that a benefit change may require.
- Ensure remittance manual is updated when changes are made to plan documents.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and developments.
- Supervise staff to ensure high levels of motivation and productivity.
An undergraduate degree in a related field and a CEBS designation or equivalent plus five years of directly related and progressive experience in benefits and/or claims administration.
Skills, knowledge and abilities include:
- Considerable knowledge of principles of group benefit plans; provincial health coverage; group industry guidelines; and industry standards and trends.
- Ability to analyze facts and exercise sound judgment at arriving at conclusions.
- Demonstrated ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Superior interpersonal skills in developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- High work standards related to information accuracy, completeness and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated assertiveness while also being sensitive to and considerate of the needs, feelings and concerns of others.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise the staff and operations of an integrated work unit.
- Ability to administer and ensure compliance with human resource and other organizational policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop plans for employees to gain necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Ability to plan for and support employees in career development opportunities.
Salary and Benefits
The Federation offers a competitive salary plus a full range of benefits, including a health care spending account; retirement plan; group life insurance; generous vacation package; sick leave; long-term disability and paid leave to deal with family, health and sickness and compassionate situations.
As a registered employment equity employer, the Federation encourages applications from members of the following equity groups: people of Aboriginal ancestry, people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.
If your considerable experience and strong commitment to excellence serve to make you an exceptional candidate for this position, please complete the Careers Application Form by selecting the “Apply Now” button below. Please note that the deadline for applications is 4 p.m. on January 25, 2019.