The Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation is seeking a well-organized and creative individual to manage all aspects of the design and production services of the Federation. The manager is responsible for the planning, co-ordination, development and delivery of communications products and tools from initiation through to completion. In addition, this position supervises and directs the work of the Design and Production unit.
- Establish and co-ordinate a project management system (workflow) that contributes to the effective and efficient delivery of STF publications and products.
- Establish effective relationships and consult with staff and colleagues to determine the communication objectives and tone of the project by identifying the audience, intent of the publication, product or tool, its distribution, the budget and deadlines.
- Apply knowledge of online and print media, advise the client on design options, layout choices and general presentation that would be effective for the audience, the intent of the document or project and its budget.
- Compile and share available information and distribute received projects to design and production staff and other stakeholders to facilitate completion of the required work within the available budget and required deadlines.
- Collaborate and monitor active projects’ status through all phases of the preparation and production process to ensure integration/consolidation between related projects, tools and delivery systems; that deadlines are met; and that there is consistently a high level of customer service.
- Develop, facilitate and ensure proofreading and quality control processes have been met for all projects and communication tools (both print and electronic).
- Establish and monitor an electronic and paper filing system for projects.
- Establish relationships with external vendors. Secure quotes and contracts as required and monitor the work accordingly.
- Establish, monitor and maintain software and hardware standards and practices for Mac and PC computer systems in the design area to facilitate the effective and efficient delivery of STF projects and communication tools (both print and electronic).
- In collaboration with Federation staff and others, assist with the planning, construction and development of the STF public and secure websites, as well as affiliate websites.
- As a member of the design team, assume and demonstrate responsibility for the production of print, multi-media and online publications and other communication products and tools.
- Supervise staff to ensure high levels of motivation and productivity.
This position requires a diploma in graphic arts and a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible design and production experience. Strong project management skills and knowledge of Macintosh operating systems and Adobe Creative Suite are definite requirements. A demonstrated ability to effectively supervise staff and manage a busy in-house creative design and production work unit is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
Skills, knowledge and abilities include:
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong attention to detail and operational workflow dynamics to effectively track and analyze the status within the production process.
- Knowledge of online and print media processes.
- Knowledge of binding and finishing processes.
- Superior interpersonal and member service skills in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with all Federation staff, members and the general public.
- Superior ability to organize and assign work and produce results through and with others.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively train and supervise staff, using a team-based supervisory approach.
- Demonstrated assertiveness while also being sensitive to and considerate of the needs, feelings and concerns of others.
- Good judgment in making decisions in light of established precedents and resourcefulness in handling new situations and problems.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills.
Salary and Benefits
The Federation offers a competitive salary plus a full range of benefits, including a health care spending account; retirement plan; group life insurance; generous vacation package; sick leave; long-term disability and paid leave to deal with family, health and sickness and compassionate situations.
As a registered employment equity employer, the Federation encourages applications from members of the following equity groups: people of Aboriginal ancestry, people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.
If your considerable experience and strong commitment to excellence serve to make you an exceptional candidate for this position, please complete the Careers Application Form by selecting the “Apply Now” button below. Please note that the deadline for applications is 4 p.m. on January 20, 2019.