The STF is currently seeking a Manager, Investment Risk and Analytics, to develop, implement and administer the investment risk policy and framework for the Federation. This position provides a significant technical role in supporting the Chief Investment Officer in the development of strategies and building a strong foundation for our investment assets. The manager reports directly to the Chief Investment Officer.
If you enjoy being a part of a passionate group of professionals who work to enhance the well-being and success of teachers, the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation is looking for you. The Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation has inspired and supported teaching and learning excellence in public education for more than 80 years. We are a professional organization of over 13,000 teachers employed in PreK-12 publicly funded schools across the province who are trusted and respected leaders and partners in education.
The Federation offers a healthy work/life balance, and provides a friendly, caring and positive work place to help you achieve that balance. Our head office is situated in beautiful Saskatoon, an active city known for its many trails along the Meewasin Valley; vibrant arts community; live theatre; fresh local cuisine; sports activities and challenging golf courses.
- Develop and administer investment risk policy, including development of investment policy, risk framework, benchmarks and risk models.
- Collaborate with the Chief Investment Officer and Investment Committee to develop recommendations on investment risk tolerance for the Federation.
- Develop risk budgets and reports observed risk relative to budgets.
- Measure risk against plan liabilities and benchmarks, including the measurement of potential losses within each plan and across asset classes.
- Develop asset mix policy, including the modelling of the relationship between assets and liabilities; investigate new products for inclusion in the asset mix; and conduct economic and market research.
- Develop and maintain risk systems including the related data collection. Deal with risk data vendors.
- Develop risk analytics for current and potential future asset strategies.
- Participate on the Risk Committee to ensure alignment of investment risk with overall risk tolerance of the Federation.
- Serve as an investment risk advocate and resource to executive and committee members to further their understanding of investment risk.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the Federation’s vision, mission and values, as well as organizational policies and procedures.
- Participate in organizational development and professional growth opportunities as directed and/or required.
- Perform other related duties as required from time to time.
The successful applicant will have an undergraduate degree in Engineering, Economics, Business, Applied Math or similar program, combined with five to seven years of relevant industry experience in investment risk management. The incumbent will be working towards a professional designation such as the CFA, or FRM.
Skills, knowledge and abilities include:
- Strong appetite for quantitative and statistical data.
- Excellent research, technical and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of computer technology used in risk modelling.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- A high standard of business conduct and ethics.
- Ability to deal with all situations and issues with integrity and honesty.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Superior interpersonal skills in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff and in promoting a positive work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to take the initiative in leading the risk function and taking action to achieve results.
- Proactive at identifying and evaluating opportunities to improve organizational processes including generating ideas, approaches or techniques.
- Takes initiative to acquire knowledge and understanding through study, instruction or experience in order to adapt to a changing work environment.
Salary and Benefits
The Federation offers a competitive salary plus a full range of benefits, including health benefits; retirement plan; group life insurance; generous vacation package; sick leave; long-term disability and paid leave to deal with family, health and sickness and compassionate situations.
As a registered employment equity employer, the Federation encourages applications from members of the following equity groups: people of Aboriginal ancestry, people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.
If your considerable experience and strong commitment to excellence serve to make you an exceptional candidate for this position, please complete the Careers Application Form by selecting the “Apply Now” button below. Please note that the deadline for applications is 4 p.m. on February 13, 2019.