The Manager, Public Markets is responsible for developing, implementing and administering the Federation’s public market strategy. This position provides a significant technical role in supporting the Chief Investment Officer in the development and implementation of public equity and fixed income strategies. The manager reports directly to the Chief Investment Officer.
If you enjoy being a part of a passionate group of professionals who work to enhance the well-being and success of teachers, the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation is looking for you. The Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation has inspired and supported teaching and learning excellence in public education for more than 80 years. We are a professional organization of over 13,000 teachers employed in PreK-12 publicly funded schools across the province who are trusted and respected leaders and partners in education.
The Federation offers a healthy work/life balance, and provides a friendly, caring and positive work place to help you achieve that balance. Our head office is situated in beautiful Saskatoon, an active city known for its many trails along the Meewasin Valley; vibrant arts community; live theatre; fresh local cuisine; sports activities and challenging golf courses.
- Designs and develops investment policy, objectives and procedures for the Federation’s public equity and fixed income investments.
- Responsible for assessing opportunities for in-house asset management .
- Assists with asset allocation as it relates to public market strategies.
- Establishes processes to assess managers, their processes and risk management practices.
- Oversees the sourcing, analysis, and conducts research and due diligence of potential investment opportunities.
- Recommends to the Chief Investment Officer investment managers and investment opportunities. that fit within the overall strategic asset mix and risk budgets.
- Collaborates with the Chief Investment Officer and Investment Committee to develop recommendations related to public market investments.
- Develops a network of sourcing managers.
- Serves as an investment specialist and resource to executive and committee members to further their understanding of public market investments.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of the Federation’s vision, mission and values, as well as organizational policies and procedures.
- Participates in organizational development and professional growth opportunities as directed and/or required.
- Travels to annual meetings, conferences and due diligence visits.
- Performs other related duties, including adhoc reporting, as required.
The successful applicant will have a professional designation (MBA, CPA, CFA) combined with five to seven years of relevant industry experience in investment management, investment banking, portfolio management or consulting.
Skills, knowledge and abilities include:
- Excellent research, financial modelling, analytical and valuation skills.
- A familiarity with leading managers, investment processes, operations and compliance practices.
- An understanding of fund structures & related accounting and valuation treatment.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff and in promoting a positive work environment.
- Ability to deal with all situations and issues with integrity and honesty.
- A high standard of business conduct and ethics.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member and team lead.
- Demonstrated ability to take the initiative as the Federation builds out its private market investment program.
- Proactive at identifying and evaluating opportunities to improve organizational processes including generating ideas, approaches or techniques.
Salary and Benefits
The Federation offers a competitive salary plus a full range of benefits, including health benefits; retirement plan; group life insurance; generous vacation package; sick leave; long-term disability and paid leave to deal with family, health and sickness and compassionate situations.
As a registered employment equity employer, the Federation encourages applications from members of the following equity groups: people of Aboriginal ancestry, people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.
If your considerable experience and strong commitment to excellence serve to make you an exceptional candidate for this position, please complete the Careers Application Form by selecting the “Apply Now” button below. Please note that the deadline for applications is 4 p.m. on February 13, 2019.