The Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation is currently seeking a highly motivated IT Systems Administrator, committed to technical excellence, high quality standards and exemplary internal and external relationships within a service environment.
The Systems Administrator is responsible for the efficient and stable operation of the Federation's infrastructure and network environments, while ensuring alignment with and allowing for the current and future strategic objectives. The incumbent will follow industry best practices to implement, administrate, support, and maintain Data Centre Infrastructure, Cloud Infrastructure, Network, Network Security, VoIP and Mobile Devices.
This position will perform advanced, specialized work of a professional nature, utilizing skills that require technical expertise and an understanding of complex analytical procedures and systems processes, including network operating systems, the development of complex solutions; network infrastructure; database management; and project management.
- Manage the hybrid infrastructure and network environment that consists of on-premise infrastructure utilizing VMWare, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft SQL Server, Palo Alto, and various Cloud, IaaS, SaaS solutions including Microsoft Azure, and Office 365.
- Implement and regularly service/maintain VMWare virtual environment., including planning/testing for patches and version upgrades.
- Implement and regularly service/maintain all virtual and physical servers, including the VMWare virtual environment.
- Ensure backups of servers and data critical to the organization are taken and tested on a regular basis.
- Maintain and assist with upgrades of the email server(s)/service(s).
- Implement, monitor, and maintain enterprise storage and backup hardware/solutions to handle electronic storage of all corporate files/data.
- Implement, and maintain an Active Directory Certificate of Authority System aligning to the cybersecurity framework.
- Assist with the implementation of security measures to protect the infrastructure and assets. As defined by the cybersecurity framework.
- Implement and assist with the management of Microsoft System Centre for all system hardware and servers.
- Provide system administration and system infrastructure support for user facing applications.
- Ensure overall availability and management of service level agreements on infrastructure and network services.
- Ensure exceptional support for all end-users and members by proactively identifying opportunities and researching ways to improve user and member experience.
- Upon direction of manager/supervisor, ensure that the Federation’s technology infrastructure meets organizational needs.
- Install, administer and regularly maintain corporate network hardware – firewalls, switches, routers, access points, etc.
- Perform network monitoring and maintenance to alleviate bottlenecks and meet the increasing demands of day to day operations.
- Maintain up to date documentation for all segments of infrastructure including IP addresses, wiring diagrams, server room diagrams, etc.
- Maintain enterprise storage by monitoring disk usage requirements, creating new directories as required, managing and auditing permissions on group directories.
- Assist in the definition and management of IT project documentation and how information will be captured, stored and used.
- Facilitate and plan project meetings.
- Complete and communicate status reports to all stakeholders.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement through cross-departmental collaboration and driving business transformation initiatives
- Communicate very complicated situations and problems in easy to understand language.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures for all IT systems.
- Keep manager/supervisor informed about major concerns or problems.
- Develop and maintain knowledge and application of people services and other organizational policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the Federation’s vision, mission and values.
- Participate in organizational development and professional growth activities as directed and/or required.
- Perform other related duties as required from time to time.
The successful applicant will have an undergraduate degree in computer science, information systems or closely related field plus a minimum of five years’ experience managing a corporate infrastructure, network environment and commercial vendor agreements and relationships. Certifications such as Microsoft MCSE, VMWare VCP, and Palo Alto PCNSA will be considered an asset. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
The incumbent will have demonstrated understanding of:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- High degree of initiative and motivation.
- Strong interpersonal skills such as effective listening, empathy and patience.
- Certification(s) and experience relating to Microsoft technologies, including Windows, Azure, Active Directory, Office 365, Microsoft Teams, Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint (MCSE).
- Certification(s) and/or experience relating to VMWare virtualization solutions, such as VCP or equivalent.
- In-depth knowledge in network and cyber security, including firewalls.
- Certification(s) and/or experience with Veeam Backup & Replication or equivalent.
- Experience writing batch scripts and/or working with PowerShell would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Proven ability to work independently, or in a team environment dealing with people from various disciplines to achieve goals, and to identify and resolve problems.
- Ability to develop, maintain and build positive relationships with partners while demonstrating tact and diplomacy to impact and influence at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple initiatives to meet deadlines and ensure quality and efficiency while demonstrating flexibility to adjust to changing work priorities.
- Ability to balance multiple deadlines and deliver on several projects simultaneously.
- Experience with Linux is a definite asset.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range is $71,148 to $88,812. The Federation offers a 35-hour work week plus a full range of benefits, including extended health care; retirement plan; group life insurance; generous vacation package; sick leave; long-term disability and paid leave to deal with family, health and sickness and compassionate situations.
As a registered employment equity employer, the Federation encourages applications from members of the following equity groups: people of Aboriginal ancestry, people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.
If your considerable experience and strong commitment to excellence serve to make you an exceptional candidate for this position, please complete the Careers Application Form by selecting the “Apply Now” button below. Please submit your cover letter and resume in one PDF or WORD file. The deadline for applications is midnight, May 31, 2020.