The STF Executive has a legislated duty to manage and regulate the activities of the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation. The Executive must ensure the organization is acting in accordance with its legislated mandate and fiduciary commitments. The day-to-day operations of the Federation, however, are the delegated responsibility of the Executive Director who is appointed by the Executive.
The legislated duty of the Executive involves various roles and responsibilities that are set out more fully in the Federation bylaws and policies adopted by Council as well as the Executive policies, processes, norms and expectations established over time by the Executive itself.
STF Executive policy refers to the formal policy statements that the STF Executive has adopted or amended that express the principles of good governance and guides processes for decision making and implementation of decisions.
Culture of Engagement and Growth
- Conduct Policy, Processes and Implementation Guidelines (EXE-A-001)
- Induction (EXE-A-002)
- Meetings (EXE-A-003)
- Communications (EXE-A-004)
- Executive Evaluation (EXE-A-005)
- Executive Development (EXE-A-006)
- Executive Service and Recognition (EXE-A-007)
- Executive Members’ Representation on Committees (EXE-A-008)
- Executive Director Recruitment (EXE-A-009)
- Executive Director Evaluation (EXE-A-010)
- Executive Resignation (EXE-A-011)
Financial Management and Budget Processes
- Financial Management (EXE-B-001)
- Operations and Capital Fund (EXE-B-002)
- Contingency Fund (EXE-B-003)
- Working Capital Fund (EXE-B-004)
- Indirect Cost Policy (EXE-B-005)
- STF Employees’ Pension Plan (EXE-B-006)
Relationships With Members and Partner Organizations
- Privacy and the Protection of Personal Information (EXE-C-001)
- Financial Assistance, Funding and Gifts (EXE-C-002)
- Member Expense Reimbursement (EXE-C-004)
- Leave for Council Meetings (EXE-C-005)
- Support for Teacher Education Programs (EXE-C-008)
- Asset Naming (EXE-C-009)
- Executive and Board Honorariums (EXE-C-010)
- Official Representation (EXE-C-011)
- Ethics and Practice Professional Complaints Policy, Processes and Flowchart (EXE-D-001)
- Collective Interests Professional Complaints, Executive Policy, Processes and Flowchart (EXE-D-002)
- Professional Committees Policy and Processes (EXE-D-003)
Investment Objectives and Policy Statement
- Investment Objectives and Policy Statement (EXE-E-001)
As per STF Bylaw 5 (Committees) Section 5.1.1, The STF Executive may establish and determine the terms of reference, including the reporting process, for standing, ad hoc, advisory, reference or working committees as it deems necessary to provide advice or perform other work for the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation.
- Budget, Finance and Audit Committee
- Conduct Review Committee
- Executive Governance Committee
- Executive Human Resources Committee
- Executive Visioning and Strategic Planning Committee
- Professional Complaints Committee
- Teachers’ Bargaining Committee
Boards and Committees
The Federation is the trustee and administrator of the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Retirement Plan, the Members’ Health Plan, the Teachers' Long-Term Disability Plan and Optional Life Insurance (Portaplan). The STF Executive has delegated certain responsibilities related to the management of these plans to the STF Pension and Benefits Board of Directors, which reports directly to the Executive. Likewise, the Executive is the trustee of the Employees' Pension Plan and is responsible for overseeing the plan’s administration and governance. The Pension Committee makes recommendations about the STF Employees' Pension Plan to the Executive.
Additional information that might be useful to Executive members is available below.
At the first STF Executive meeting upon assuming office, new Executive members will complete and sign an Oath of Office and a Conflict of Interest Declaration.
At the first board meeting, new board directors will complete and sign an Oath of Office and a Conflict of Interest Declaration.
At the first committee meeting, new committee members complete and sign a Conflict of Interest Declaration.
As individual Executive development opportunities arise, STF Executive members will complete the application form and submit to the President, who will ensure the item is placed on the next meeting agenda. Other STF Executive members who wish to be considered for the same development opportunity must also complete the application form. Late applications will be accepted at the meeting.