Balance Your Health: Empower Yourself
To young students, teachers can seem like superheroes, but even superheroes need time for self-care so they can be there for others. Yet, many global studies rank “teaching” as one of the most stressful professions, with stress levels similar to that of first responders, prison guards and social workers.
Who are these supervillains Saskatchewan teachers are up against?
- Constantly changing protocols and work environments, resulting in increased apprehension, confusion and fatigue.
- Class size and composition stressors connected to increasing accountabilities, inadequate resources and overwhelming workloads.
- Always having to be “on” even during breaks and after hours.
- Fears of illness and a reluctance to take time off for illness or injury, for financial or other reasons.
Teaching was hard enough before a global pandemic. COVID-19 has not made things easier. The Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation recognizes how challenging teaching and life have been. We are here to help. We might not have superpowers, but we do have tools and supports to help you Balance Your Health to Empower Yourself.
Starting this November, and into the new year, the STF is offering a five-part teacher well-being series, including the following:
- Teacher Wellness – November 30, 2021, 7 p.m.
Wade Repta, a well-known advocate and expert in teacher wellness, is providing a webinar to examine wellness through a holistic lens, including a description of the Wellness Wheel and how teachers can use it to restore balance. Visit the STF Events Calendar to register.
- Resources to Support Your Wellness – December 15, 2021, 7 p.m.
Liz Wright, a manager at ComPsych, which hosts the Member Family and Assistance Plan, is providing an orientation webinar advising teachers how to access free, confidential short-term counselling, legal and financial consultation and work-life assistance. Registration details coming soon!
- The Truth About Credit – January 20, 2022, 7 p.m.
Tim St. Vincent, a retired Certified Financial Planner and educator with the Credit Counselling Society, is providing a webinar on credit myths and the facts about credit reports, ratings, scores and how to protect and/or repair your credit. Registration details coming soon!
- Mental Wellness – February 16, 2022, 7 p.m.
Wade Repta is providing a webinar to discuss the relationship between teaching and mental health, including strategies teachers can use to set boundaries to maintain mental wellness through the school year. Registration details coming soon!
- Physical Wellness – March 30, 2022, 7 p.m.
Wade Repta is providing a webinar on strategies teachers can use to manage their physical wellness in the school setting, with a focus on the basics of ergonomics and strategies for managing pain and fatigue. Registration details coming soon!