Completing the Circle - Teaching for Reconciliation - POSTPONED
Our keynote presenters are Renée Carrière and Leda Corrigal who are both educators in Northern Saskatchewan. Renée is a wholehearted advocate for the overall importance of land-based education and is implementing the wildland fire emergency response course she created, Iskotew 20, in her school. Renée was the lead researcher from the Wachusk or Muskrat Project that won the 2016 McDowell Foundation Research Award, and in collaboration with her students wrote Muskrats and Fire, which provides a personal account of their journey to discover: Where have all the muskrats gone? The book weaves historical and present-day teachings shared by community Knowledge Keepers with the Saskatchewan K-12 curriculum.
Leda Corrigal is originally from Beauval and has been an educator with the Northern Lights School Division for the past 25 years. Leda is proud to be fluent in the Cree and Michif languages. She has taught elementary, middle years and high school and has worked in both English and Cree language classrooms. She is an advocate for the retention and revitalization of Aboriginal languages and has been involved with the Aboriginal Languages Project in NLSD since 2003. Leda is the proud daughter of Ralph Laliberte who encouraged her never to lose sight of her goals.
- Create a space for Saskatchewan teachers to come together to collaborate and learn from each other.
- Share exemplary classroom and community practices in Indigenizing curriculum including:
- Culturally considerate pedagogy.
- Authentic engagement of protocols, practices and relationships.
- Indigenized teaching practices and methodologies.
- Attention to Indigenous languages.
- Ways of knowing.
- Foster relationships and networks between teachers in all school systems who work to support the children of Saskatchewan.
- Learn by listening and sharing knowledge.
- All Saskatchewan teachers and leaders in Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12.
|Friday, June 5||
|4:00 – 5:00 p.m.||
|5:00 – 6:30||Opening Ceremony|
Social with appetizers and dessert
|7:00 – 8:30||
McDowell Research Salon Series
|Saturday, June 6||
|8:00 – 8:45 a.m.||
Registration and breakfast
|9:00 – 10:30||
Plenary Keynote with Renée Carrière and Leda Corrigal
|10:45 – 12:00 p.m.||
Breakout Session 1
|12:00 – 1:00||
|1:00 – 2:15||
Breakout Session 2
|2:30 – 3:45||
Breakout Session 3
|3:45 – 4:00||
If you have any questions, please contact us by email or Elizabeth Hutton by telephone 306-373-1660 or 1-800-667-7762.
|Fee Type||Early Bird||Standard||Late|
Includes GST, materials and all meals for both days.
Please check back again. Registration will be available mid-March.