Traffics lights can be used to support pre-assessment and learner self-assessment, as well as exit slips.
- Using the following colour codes, invite learners to show the colour that represents their thinking:
- Green: I know this or I’m doing well.
- Yellow: I may know this or I partially know this or Please check in with me.
- Red: I don’t know this or I need your help NOW.
- Use Traffic Lights before, during, or right after learning.
Highlighters, coloured cups, coloured dots on a ring, coloured cards – any readily accessible visuals representing the three colours.
Adapted from: Lipton, L., & Wellman, B. (2011). Groups at work: Strategies and structures for professional learning (p. 36). MiraVia.