Quick images can be used to show number or spatial concepts.
For dot cards, 10 frames or pattern shapes, the flow of the routine is:
- The teacher projects the image for two to three seconds with learners trying to make sense of what they saw.
- Learners then sketch what they think they saw.
- Teacher projects the image once again for one to two seconds.
- Learners make any adjustments that they think they should make to their original drawing.
- Teacher projects the image permanently and asks learners to volunteer how they knew what to draw.
Images can be copied on cardstock cards on a ring, which can then be used during transitions such as waiting to enter the gym or library, and children can orally tell what they noticed in the image.
Wheatley, Quick Draw, 2007