Marking text invites learners to engage more deeply with text.
- Introduce or co-construct text marking symbols such as:
- Model with learners how to mark up their text using these symbols before expecting them to use them independently.
- After using them, invite reflections from learners about how marking text supported thinking about their reading.
- Encourage learners to develop their own “mark legend” for use while reading.
- If learners are not able to write in their texts, sticky notes can accomplish a similar awareness while reading.
- A study skill to develop is to have learners read back through their own notes in a subject area and mark it up to indicate whether they understand a concept (P) or have questions about a concept (?). This can help to narrow their focus during review and to signal that they need help from peers or a teacher.