Learners are invited to make connections to their background knowledge and experiences in order to predict relationships between terms or concepts.
- Select key terms or concepts from a text that learners are about to read, see, or hear.
- Splash the selected terms or concepts at angles on a chart or screen.
- Invite learners to work with a partner or in small groups to generate statements (not just words or phrases) that predict the relationship of the terms to the topic.
- Then make the text available to learners. As they read, view, or listen, ask them to pause at regular intervals to check their predictions against the information in the text.
- Learners should revise their statements as they read and place a question mark next to any statements that are not verified or negated in the text.
Key terms or concepts from a text displayed in a Word Splash.
Adapted from: Lipton, L., & Wellman, B. (1998). Pathways to Understanding (p. 42). MiraVia.