This process supports deeper understanding of words or concepts that are unfamiliar to learners and that may not have a “real-life” context.
- Have learners work with a partner or in small groups to construct shared understanding of a concept or word using the Visual Dictionary organizer (see below in Materials).
- Upper left quadrant – identify the word or concept
- Upper right quadrant – create a visual representation to illustrate understanding
- Lower left quadrant –identify a personal connection to the concept or word – a connection that will help anchor the meaning for learners
- Lower right quadrant – create a definition of the word or concept in learners’ own words
Visual Dictionary Organizer