Termination From Plan
If you terminate your STF Pension plan membership, you are eligible to receive a termination benefit if you meet the following conditions:
- You are not eligible for retirement; and
- You have terminated your teaching contract or ceased receiving benefits from the Teachers’ Long-Term Disability Plan (formerly Income Continuance Plan).
The options you have for receiving your termination benefit depends on how much eligibility service you have in the plan.
There is a four-month waiting period from the later of the date the teacher last taught (including substitute service), was under contract or was receiving ICP benefits, to the date the teacher may transfer funds or receive a refund from STRP.
Less Than 10 Months of Eligibility Service
If you have less than 10 months of eligibility service, you are entitled to a refund of your teacher contributions plus interest. You may transfer this amount to your RRSP or receive a taxable lump sum payment.
10 Months or More of Eligibility Service
If you have 10 or more months of eligibility service, and your benefits are not locked in, you have the option to:
- Receive a refund of your teacher contributions plus interest.
- Leave your benefits in the Plan and start your pension when you are eligible to retire.
- Transfer the commuted value of your pension benefit to a locked-in retirement account, or another registered pension plan that agrees to administer the funds in accordance with the STRP Locking-in Agreement.
- Receive a refund of the amount determined under the 50 percent excess test, if any, and leave the remainder of your benefit in the Plan.
If you have 10 or more months of eligibility service and your benefits are locked in, you have the same options as stated above, except you are not eligible for a refund of your teacher contributions plus interest (option 1).
For more information about the options available to you upon termination from the Plan, contact the STRP .
Reinstatement of Service
A teacher may reinstate the service for which a refund of teacher contributions and interest was received by repaying the amount of the refund with interest calculated at the rate earned by the pension fund. The teacher can repay the complete refund and associated interest or repay the portion of any year to which the refund applied.
If a transfer of the commuted value occurs, then the teacher has no further entitlements under the Plan and no right of reinstatement.